Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program
Here to assist you
What is the Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program
A Rent Bank provides financial assistance in the form of a no-interest repayable loan, to households at risk of eviction for reasons such as non-payment of rent or utilities. The loan can also be used as a damage deposit to move to safe and sustainable housing.
*Service providers: Feel free to print off the one page document to put up throughout your organization.
Please Note: *Grant Funds are not available at this time
The Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program assists families and individuals who meet eligibility requirements and who may be at risk of eviction or essential utility disconnection due to a temporary shortage of funds.
- We provide: Interest-free loans or grants (when funding is available*)
- Advocacy and referral services.
- 19 years of age or older.
- Residents of Greater Victoria OR Residents moving to Greater Victoria (If seeking damage/security deposit or first month’s rent and/or moving expenses).
- (Note: In exceptional cases, financial assistance may be available for those moving out of Greater Victoria)
- Must meet low- moderate income requirements (Note: some exceptions may be made)
- Cannot be more than 2 months in arrears* (rent and/or utility).
- Must have experienced a temporary, unexpected financial crisis.
- Have a regular source of verifiable income
- Have a current bank account
- Have a clear plan for financial stability, particularly if experiencing ongoing financial challenges, excessive outstanding debts or bankruptcy
- Able to provide three months of ALL bank account and credit card statements (including statements of all existing debts)
- Able to demonstrate housing will be stabilized for a minimum of 90 days.
*Exceptions may be made in some circumstances if all other eligibility criteria are met.
Low-income is defined as follows:
|House size||Maximum gross household income (before tax)|
|1 bedroom or less||$44,500|
How to Apply
You can apply for the Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program by completing the Pre-Assessment Form and submitting the required documents.
Step 1: PRE-ASSESSMENT FORM
The Pre-Assessment Form should be completed and submitted online. The forms will be reviewed in the order they are received. If you do not have email access, please phone and discuss further options.
* Submitting a Pre-Assessment does not guarantee that you will receive financial assistance.
Step 2: LOAN APPLICATION
Once we have reviewed your initial information, we will discuss next steps*. This conversation may include asking to complete a phone interview and to provide further documentation.
* Speaking with you and reviewing your circumstances does not guarantee that you will receive financial assistance.
Step 3: FOLLOW-UP
The Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program case manager will follow up with you to discuss your application. If necessary, we may ask for more information. The Case Manager may ask for consent to contact your landlord, employer, utility service provider, and/or any other service provider.
Step 4: LOAN DECISION
Our Loan Review Committee will review completed applications. Loans are approved based on the likelihood of securing housing, the applicant’s financial stability, available loan funds, and the applicant’s ability to repay the loan. The Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program Case Manager will notify you of the Committee’s decision.
If the loan has been approved, the Case Manager will arrange a meeting with the applicant to complete the loan/grant approval paperwork, including the loan repayment plan.
Note: Housing Relief Fund grants are approved based on the likelihood of securing housing, the applicant’s financial stability, and available grant funds.*
If the loan has been approved, the Case Manager will arrange a meeting with you to complete the loan approval paperwork, including the loan repayment plan.
For agencies or service providers seeking more information, please contact Ben Finkelberg or Lauren Davis, the Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program Case Managers at:
#216-852 Fort Street, Victoria, BC V8W 1H8
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the CSPC staff is working remotely. If you wish to meet in-person, please call ahead to ensure the availability of a Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program Staff person to meet so we can follow proper social distancing guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Financial Support of the Greater Victoria Housing Security and Rent Bank Program
This rent bank is supported by BC Rent Bank, a project of Vancity Community Foundation funded by the Province of BC.
BC Rent Bank has a three-year mandate to create the infrastructure necessary to support a province-wide rent bank system.