Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank Program
Here to assist you
What is the Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank Program?
A Rent Bank provides financial assistance in the form of a no-interest repayable loan, to households at risk of eviction for reasons such as non-payment of rent or utilities. The loan can also be used as a damage deposit to move to safe and sustainable housing.
*Service providers: Feel free to print off the one page document to put up throughout your organization.
Please Note: Until April 30, 2021, under certain circumstance, the Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank may offer non-repayable, one-time Housing Grants to those experiencing housing insecurity as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank assists eligible families and individuals who meet eligibility requirements and are at risk of eviction or essential utility disconnection due to a temporary shortage of funds.
- Interest-free loans or grants (while funds last) to low-income people in temporary financial crisis; and
- Advocacy and referral services.
- 19 years of age or older.
- Resident of Greater Victoria OR Residents moving to Greater Victoria (If seeking damage/security deposit or first month’s rent).
- Must meet low-income requirements* (see chart below).
- Cannot be more than 2 months in arrears* (rent and/or utility).
- Must have experienced a temporary, unexpected financial crisis.
- Have a regular source of verifiable income (employment or government assistance) that is sufficient to cover living expenses.
- Have a current bank account and are on income assistance.
- Does not have excessive outstanding debts or undischarged bankruptcies.
- Able to provide proof of income, proof of tenancy and three months of up-to-date bank records.
- Able to demonstrate housing will be stabilized for a minimum of 90 days.
*Exceptions may be made in some circumstances if all other eligibility criteria are met.
Low-income is defined as follows:
|House size||Maximum gross household income (before tax)|
|1 bedroom or less||$44,500|
How to Apply
You can apply for the Rent Bank Loan or Housing Relief Fund program by completing the Rent Bank Loan/ Housing Relief Fund Pre-Assessment Form and submitting the required documents.
Please refer to the application process.
Step 1: PRE-ASSESSMENT FORM
The Pre-Assessment Form should be completed and submitted online. The forms will be reviewed in the order they are received. If you do not have email access, please phone and discuss further options.
* Submitting a Pre-Assessment application form does not guarantee that you will receive the loan.
Step 2: LOAN APPLICATION
Once we have reviewed the applicant's initial information, we will discuss their next steps*. This conversation may include asking the applicant to complete a loan application and provide further documentation.
* Speaking with you and reviewing your circumstances does not guarantee that you will receive the loan.
Step 3: FOLLOW-UP
The Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank Case Manager will follow up with the applicant to discuss their application. If necessary, we may ask for more information. The Case Manager may need to contact the applicant's landlord, utility service provider, and/ or any other service provider with consent from the applicant.
Step 4: LOAN DECISION
A Loan Committee will review completed Loan applications.
Loans are approved based on the likelihood of securing housing, the applicant’s financial stability, available loan funds, and the applicant's ability to repay the loan. Housing Relief Fund grants are approved based on the likelihood of securing housing, the applicant’s financial stability, and available grant funds. The Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank Case Manager will notify the applicant of the Committee's decision.
If the loan has been approved, the Case Manager will arrange a meeting with the applicant to complete the loan/grant approval paperwork, including the loan repayment plan.
For agencies or service providers seeking more information, please contact Ben Finkelberg or Lauren Davis, the Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund & Rent Bank Case Managers at:
#216-852 Fort Street, Victoria, BC V8W 1H8
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the CSPC staff is working remotely. If you wish to meet in-person, please call ahead to ensure the availability of a Housing Security Relief & Rent Bank Staff person to meet so we can follow proper social distancing guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Financial Support of the Greater Victoria Housing Relief Fund and Rent Bank
This rent bank is supported by BC Rent Bank, a project of Vancity Community Foundation funded by the Province of BC.
BC Rent Bank has a three-year mandate to create the infrastructure necessary to support a province-wide rent bank system.